Monday, October 4, 2010

You got me....



Ya'll know about Joe Simon, right? He made God-only-knows-how-many records, which resulted in beaucoup trips to the charts. A total hit-maker in his day.

This record's different than most of his output. It's a groove thang. Funky in way which is awfully close to second line syncopation. I say "awfully close" because to my ears there's something not-quite-right about the beat, but I'm also not musically sophisticated enough to be able to say why that's so. Probably best just to say it doesn't sound "loose" enough to me.

Still, the groove does catch my attention. By the time side one is finished, I want to hear more. By the time the second side is half finished, I'm definitely into it.

Hope ya'll enjoy...


2 comments:

  1. Excellent two parter. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Joe Simon's voice. He's one of those r'n'b singers who could have been a big country star if circumstances were right.

    ReplyDelete