Thursday, September 2, 2010

Miss Sticks.....


I do my best not to post songs I know have been recently offered by others. You might be surprised how often I have to move a 45 to the back of the stack for that reason.

Anyway, I think it's been at least 18 months since this was posted over at Jukeboxmafia, which seems plenty long to wait. Actually took me awhile to get myself a copy, not because it's especially hard to find, but because to my way of thinking it's a $5 record [more or less a generic term] and everyone seemed to want too much money.....even if it was just a couple of dollars more than I thought it should be. I get stubborn like that sometimes.

I'm a huge fan of Raymond Lewis records. They're like the flip-side of Lee Dorsey's output. Allen Toussaint's touch is literally all over them, with lots of tasty piano work by Mr. T and usually at least one songwriting credit for Naomi Neville, his nom de wax. I can't imagine they didn't do well in New Orleans.

As far as I know there are only four singles by Raymond Lewis. Here's his first one, from 1961.

Hope y'all enjoy...it's one of my faves.

1 comment:

  1. Outta Sight! This one's in the running for my new favorite song of the week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete