Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I pray at night that you'll come back to me....


Nice to be back in New Orleans. The weather is gorgeous. I'm a happy girl.
.................................................................................................
The original release version of "For Every Boy There's A Girl" is rarely heard. In fact, I think the only time it's been re-issued was on the Instant label LP, titled "All These Things". But isn't that a misprint? Isn't the actual song on the album the flip-side of this 45, "I've Done It Again"? Wasn't the mistake corrected on the Bandy re-issue of the comp? Or is it the other way around? I don't own either pressing, so I can't check.

Doesn't really matter. The point being that if this version of the song has been re-issued, it was 30 to 40 years ago. The only version now available is different. It's been stripped of it's gorgeous flute track.

Usually, I'm all for chucking silly overdubbed vocals and the like, but in this case the so-so backup singing was left in place and the very reason I paid attention to the 45 in the first place was taken away. It's a nice song, in fact, it's beautiful, but whoever decided to cut the flute part is an idiot. Be sure and tell 'em I said so.

This is the only Aaron Neville single released on Jack Banashak's Instant label. Given that Neville was busy recording for Parlo at the time, it makes me wonder if the song wasn't recorded earlier than it's 1967 release date would suggest. Neville recorded for Minit [owned at that time by Banashak] between 1960 and 1963 with Allen Toussaint. Perhaps Banashak was hoping to cash in on the huge success of "Tell It Like It Is" by issuing an older unreleased track?

I could be entirely wrong, but it does seem odd that a lone single by Neville showed up on a Banashak owned label, four years after the last one, with no producer/arranger credit, and a flip-side song credited to "Naomi Neville", aka Allen Toussaint.

Hope ya'll enjoy the tune....

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Ana - I've never heard this 45 from Aaron. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ana, I've listened to a lot of Aaron Neville, but this is the first time I have ever heard this song. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ana, this is beautiful, thank you!

    ReplyDelete