Saturday, September 25, 2010

Give me the strength to carry on....


I'm on my way to Portland. So far, the trip's been just fine. It was nice to see an old friend in Boston and I even got to spend a couple of hours shopping in Cambridge. Caught the Nicholas Nixon show at the Museum of Fine Arts as well.

Chicago was quite a bit more hectic. There was a presentation to give and seemingly hundreds of people to talk to. A beautiful room with a view of the lake made up for a lot. In fact, I don't think I've ever slept so well in a hotel before. But then, I'm totally exhausted. My afternoon nap on Thursday lasted eight hours. I woke up at midnight.

Since I'm finally telling everyone the news, I should just go ahead and spit it out......I'm 14 weeks pregnant. Anyone who says you get a spurt of energy during the second trimester is lying through their teeth.
..............................................................................................
This is a local D.C. pressing of a 45 more commonly seen on the GSF label where it's credited to Joe Quarterman & Free Soul. Surprisingly, I was able to pick it up for less than I paid for my copy of the nationally distributed GSF pressing. I guess some folks don't know it's the same record.

I don't have much to say about Quarterman & crew except that their self-titled album [which has been re-issued on vinyl] is a big favorite of mine. Well worth the $15 it'll set you back.

This single is the heart of that album. Personally, I prefer the straight ahead approach of Part 1, but fans of heavy psych funk should definitely check out Part 2 for the requisite screaming guitar solo.

Sorry about the missing scan for Part 2, I don't seem to have it with me.


11 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Ana! And thanks for another cool 45 share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two of my favorite US cities. Boston, where i grew up near and lived for 14 years (It'll always be 'home') and Chicago, where i live now.
    And congrats on the bambino news too!

    ...Now i'm going to follow those links and actually listen to this record. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Ana all my best wishes! Kids are the best (though exhausting mind you).
    PS: I had no idea this record had a local pressing...It's a great one however you look at it. Just noticed my Pt 2 skips, damn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey hey hey! Great news! That's gonna be one funky baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Anna! Don't worry, time will fly and you'll feel much better. Next time you're over at my blog you'll see a new file hosting service - now I know why you left divShare.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's greats news. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. many many thanks for sharing
    the soulboy--spain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funky goodness. It's great to hear both parts. I loved the changes from part 1 to part 2. Thank you!
    And congratulations. You're at the start of a great adventure. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the congrats ya'll. I couldn't be more pleased about it.

    Perrata....There are actually two pressings on the Mantis label, one is red, the other blue. I don't know which was first.

    Could be I got this one for cheap because it's a second pressing?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your great news.

    I'm betting the little one will be wiggling that nappy in a funky style long before the first steps are taken.

    ReplyDelete