Friday, January 28, 2011

You done me wrong...


Not those Supremes! And also not the Supremes who recorded "Snap, Crackle, and Pop" for the Mark label. This group was out of Ohio. I'm pretty sure this is their only 45.

Given that Joe Ruffino gets song writing credit, he must have had something to do with getting the group to New Orleans. He worked A&R for Johnny Vincent at Ace? This must have been right before Ruffino started the Ric label.

Actually, that's a pretty interesting thought, because it's made me realize this record uses the exact same backing track as Edgar Blanchard's, "Lets Get It", the very first record issued on Ric [check the sidebar is you want to hear it]. Funny that I never put that together before.

That explains why "Lets Get It" is credited solely to Blanchard rather than his band, the Gondoliers. The original track had to have been cut by Huey Smith, Lee Allen, Hungry Williams, et al.....essentially Cos Matassa's a-list studio band at the time....maybe as part of a Huey Smith and the Clowns session?

Ya know, I may not have many answers, but sometimes I ask really good questions.

Anyway, this record rocks hard. Too bad the Supremes didn't get another chance, I'm really surprised Johnny Vincent didn't see the potential.

Hope ya'll enjoy....

8 comments:

  1. According to Marv Goldberg, ". . .the Huey Smith Orchestra was used to back up the Supremes. Forest [Porter] remembers Huey on piano, Lee Allen on sax, and Earl King on guitar. Also present were drummer Charles Williams and saxman Red Tyler." Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marie....wow, for once I was right. I promise I won't let it go to my head.

    I love it, the "Huey Smith Orchestra", uh huh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It intrigues me that I don't see Blanchard's name on the list.....I'd be very surprised if he wasn't involved in the Supremes session. Especial since that's the same crew [with Blanchard] who worked on Eddie Bo's sessions from around the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Took me a few days, but I gotta ask...who in the hell is Marv Goldberg?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marv Goldberg is a respected R&B vocal group historian
    http://www.uncamarvy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for the way-after-the-fact comments, but.. it looks like there were two versions of the Supremes Ace 45, both with 'Just For You And I' on them. Ace 530 had a different flipside, "Honey Honey" on it.

    I was just peeking on those Jax "New Orleans Vocal Group Connection" cds seeing if this record was on there, and found three cuts by the Supremes...leading me to dig out an Ace discography.

    Ok, enough geeking out for one day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isosceles....As I understand it, the Supremes recorded four songs during that session, but I didn't realize that two singles were released. I'm surprised I didn't catch that when I was poking around for info.

    Even stranger [to me] is that I don't know that I've ever heard "Honey Honey".

    Please, geek all you want. This is good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's just good as the other ones! I'll email ya it. (from the aforementioned Jax cds..)

    ReplyDelete