Saturday, August 20, 2011

Doin' it all night long....pt.2


Continuing with the oddities.....what better place to look than the Anla label?

This 45 comes courtesy of my ultra crabby friend C. who having recently reached "a certain advanced age" is now apparently immune to feminine wiles. Try as I might, I've been unable to get this bizarre slab of vinyl out of his [evil] clutches. In fact, my machinations look to have backfired. He's now threatening to leave his entire collection to the clutch of feral cats inhabiting his backyard ["to sharpen thier nasty claws on"] with the executor of the will instructed to poke each cat with a pin just to make sure none of the "little fuckers" is me in disguise. I love you too darlin'.

I've written several times about Chester Randle/Bill Parker, in fact I posted the original version of this song more than a year ago.

While the original version is great goofy fun....this later take comes very close to pure acid-damaged insanity. Sure, there's a big difference between 1962 and 1970 [?], but why would anyone think they could turn such an incredibly silly dance tune into a psychedelic freakout? The mind boggles. If there was even an ounce of irony [or a fake lisp] involved I'd be reminded of the Electric Eels. Repeated listening does nothing to solve the puzzle.

I could be wrong, but I don't think this 45 has ever been comped.

Here ya go, Sweet Potato Mash...with a side of LSD.

2 comments: