Monday, March 28, 2011

Let it hang out baby.....


Just in case anyone hasn't heard yet, Red Kelly is reporting that Sir Lattimore Brown died last Friday night after being hit by a car. I'm at a loss for words. R.I.P.
...............................................................................................................
And just in case anyone is interested in my search for info on the Starr's 45.....

I bought the recently issued comp "That Kat Sure Could Play" [highly recommended] which was brought to my attention by a reader in the comments. It purportedly includes every recording on which Ike Turner played between the years 1952 and 1957, and as far as I can tell is the first time the Starr's 45 has been comped. I was hoping the liner notes might shed some light.

They do not. Here's what Fred Rathwell, who put the collection together, has to say about the record, "The Starr's are a complete discographical blank although the lead sounds suspiciously like Jackie Brenston. Both sides have a distinct New Orleans feel, "Crying Over You" [written by Ike Turner] sounds like a Huey "Piano" Smith record and "Aint Got No Home" is the Clarence "Frogman" Henry hit which at least dates this recording to after September 1956 when the Frogman's record was made." That's all he has to say.

It's the only 45 on the comp about which nothing is known. It's inclusion within the collection's time frame is little more than wishful thinking. In fact it's still unclear whether there's any proof at all of an Ike Turner connection. As far as the singer sounding like Jackie Brenston, that's just Mr. Rathwell's opinion, and honestly speaking, it's not one I agree with.

Perhaps more importantly, the record itself sounds nothing like any of the other included cuts and given that it does sound quite a bit like Billy Gayle's "I'm Hurtin" from 1962, I'm gonna stick to my guns and say I still think the Starr's recordings are from the early '60's. In this case, my opinion is just as valid as Mr. Rathwell's....at least until someone dates the run-out code on the 45.

So, the question remains: is the Starr's 45 Ike Turner related? While I happen to think it is, I'd still like to see a tiny bit of proof. Anything at all.

Told ya it was a mystery record.
...................................................................................................
I stupidly missed the local "Record Raid" up by Tulane while I was out of town, but still came home with a few nice things from Texas. My first visit to a record store since last October [can you believe it!] netted a small stack of ultra-clean new old stock copies. This is one.

Doesn't appear to be much known about Tina Britt even though she had five singles, two of which were hits, and an album issued on her. That album, "Blue All The Way" has been re-issued with some extra added cuts. I happen to like it a lot. You should check it out.

[Wow. A link to a recent interview with Tina Britt was posted in the comments. Here it is. She's making a new album after a 40 year break.]

Hope ya'll enjoy.....

9 comments:

  1. I grew up a rock and roll kid and have known the Steppenwolf version for as long as i've been able to walk. For a bunch of stoned hippies, they actually did a pretty straight take on it. I also have another version somewhere that i discovered a few years back (the performer's name escapes me), but i've never heard this one. Cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff....you know the original by Don Covay, right? Covered by a rock group or not, it's a hard piece of funk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the guy. I knew you'd know. I just have an mp3 of it. It's hard to remember who sings what when you don't have an actual physical copy to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great version of a classic tune. Thank you!

    ana-b, I just got caught up with all (80+) of your posts that I missed over the last few months and just wanted to say thanks for all of the amazing tunes and highly enjoyable info, insights and anecdotes.
    "That Kat Sure Could Play" sounds great. I need to hunt down a copy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jem...You're most welcome and it's nice to have you back. I missed your comments.

    I probably should have plugged the comp more. Some of it I'm very familiar with, but there was quite a lot I either hadn't heard or don't hear all that often. I also had no idea Turner was involved in all those recordings. It's a 4CD collection, something close to a hundred tunes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first exposure to Don Covay was via Steppenwolf too. I guess you have to start somewhere! -- Jon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's a link to a recent interview with Tina Britt. Her 1968 Blues Rock 45 "Who Was That" (on the same LP as Sookie Sookie) acutally made Pop #20 on WMCA in New York.

    http://vodpod.com/watch/4241170-tina-brittvalori-steele

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ken K.....that's fabulous. Thanks so much. I'm gonna add a link to the post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. youre right about the dating of the Starrs. i left another note on the post about the record saying it was pressed late in 1960. ill send you an email too in case you miss this.

    c.

    ReplyDelete