Monday, March 7, 2011

It's Lundi Gras, so how about some Funky Soul?


I had a little "wake up call" last Friday. The Doc's opinion is that I'm not taking care of myself like I should, and most def trying to do too much too soon. So, for the next few weeks I'm to do exactly as I'm told and concentrate on "healthy things" like actually recovering rather just pretending I'm ok. Which is too bad 'cause I about had everyone, including myself, fooled into thinking I was Wonder Woman.

Some of you may know the drill. Eat right, do your tummy exercises, nap when the baby sleeps. Do not use nap-time to attack the avalanche of work that's piled up in the last month, or to set traps for the raccoon that's eating all the cat food. Even little stuff like paying the bills, answering email....or posting on the blog, are officially frowned upon. The point is to get some rest.

But on the other hand, I have to do something more than just follow Baby Girl's feeding/pooping/sleeping schedule or I'll go bonkers. So, I cut a deal: no more work, no more yelling at the neighbor's tenants, and no more rearranging of the furniture as long as I'm allowed to post a couple of times a week. My Boy was like, "uh huh", and then, "ok", but he did make me swear to it all.
..............................................................................................................
This evening, two very dissimilar but great parades roll. My dad will be on one of the floats, my mom usually just watches and takes pictures. Wish I could go watch too.

Tomorrow morning, my sis and her husband will join up with the Society of St. Anne for their stroll down to see Rex. My Boy, along with his parents, will be doing their thing down Canal St. around the same time.
..............................................................................................................
This isn't the 45 I meant to post, but I didn't have the other one ripped, and well, maybe ya'll can appreciate that I really am trying to take it easy here.

And it doesn't really have anything to do with Mardi Gras although I'm sure it's shown up on at least one of the myriad of comps purporting to provide a soundtrack to Carnival, somewhere, sometime.

Anyway, it's great tune...possibly the best instrumental to ever come out of New Orleans. Oddly enough, this 45 was also released on the Instant label in what I suspect was an even smaller pressing than the one on Soulin'.

Ever wonder why you never hear Part 2 of this record? That's because it's not very good. I can't even tell you why it's sub-par, but it is. Could even be that Part 1 is so superior that it just sounds bad by comparison.

Hope ya'll enjoy....

[Btw, Dan Phillips has some really interesting Mardi Gras related tunes up. Ya'll should check 'em out here, if you haven't already.]

1 comment:

  1. Take care of yourself, Ana. Your legion of world-wide appreciators will happily await whatever comes our way whenever. Happy Mardi Gras!

    ReplyDelete