Wednesday, April 4, 2012

You better speak once and think twice....


Poppy/Poppa Hop is Hop Wilson, the steel guitar player. Here's a discography which just so happens to include one for the Ivory label as well.

Ivory was owned by Lee Semien, aka, King Ivory. It's been my experience that any recording he was involved with is worth checking out. But good luck finding those Ivory 45s......

For those not interested in hunting down the vinyl, there are several comps associated with these two men. "I Met A Strange Woman"is included on the super nice "Hop Wilson & His Buddies", and on "Steel Guitar Flash" as well.

King Ivory is well represented by both "Beating The Odds" and "The Bitch Done Quit Me".

Hope ya'll enjoy.............


6 comments:

  1. Great post, interesting label photo (that center hole has seen some better days!). Hop Wilson has long been a favorite, I think I first heard him on a Flyright LP called Chicken Stuff–Houston Ghetto Blues around 1970 and he's been top of the list ever since. Hope your post will help more folks pick up on him . . . doomy electric blues at its best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's those damned rats I tells ya!

      I guess I should feel lucky the previous owner didn't snap the record in half while popping those silly inserts in and out. It's absolutely the worst I own in that regard. I have to hand center the beast before I play it.

      Delete
  2. The only existent and frustratingly short film footage of Hop Wilson and King Ivory Semien (on drums) pops up at the 06:11 mark of this German documentary.
    http://vimeo.com/37294773

    ReplyDelete
  3. DivShare links don't seem to be playing - just me? ;-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uhmmm, no. I'm having troubles too.

      My advice is to try again later. In the mean time I'll look into it.

      Delete
    2. Divshare isn't really very reliable [which is why they don't get any money from me].

      Until proven otherwise, I'm thinking the service is having a "senior moment". No insult meant to those of advanced age, most of whom are way more on top of it than Divshare.

      Delete