Monday, April 30, 2012

Every day would be a holiday.....


Ironing Board Sam [aka, Sam Moore] played at Jazz Fest yesterday. It was his first appearance in a very long time. I read something about it being 41 years since his last. Good for him.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the show. No free passes have come our way this year and we just sent the I.R.S. virtually everything we had in the savings account.

Too bad, as the Jazz Fest line-up is really very good this year. The most interesting I've seen since getting my degree.....and thus finally being able to attend. [As I've pointed out before, the scheduling of the festival conflicts with final exams.]

Anyway, Mr. Moore is now affiliated with the fine folks at the Music Maker Relief Foundation and that association appears to be doing him a boatload of good. Here's a link to his page on the Music Maker site where you can see a few video clips [the vodka ad is a hoot] and also listen to several mp3s ["Life Is Like A See Saw" is particularly nice].

Ya'll should def go see him if he comes to your town. On May 11, he'll be playing in both Durham and Hillsborough North Carolina.

Mostly you get to hear the funky flip-side of this 45, but I'm a fan of this ultra-nice cover of a tune originally recorded by Johnnie Morisette [I think that's right], on which Mr. Moore really gets to show off his vocal chops. Those horns are pretty sweet too.

Hope ya'll enjoy.......


9 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the Durham show - John Dee Holman is great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, dag, this is a wild side. Makes me miss back home. Nothing like this in New Jersey. Nothing like this in NYC. SIgh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't believe I live in Hillsborough, but will be in New Orleans while Sam is playing in my own backyard! I'm sure i can get my fix in the crescent city though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have one of my favourite blogs.
    you are doing an excellent job of digging up great music.
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah that is crazy we need to get him out more often

    ReplyDelete