Friday, April 20, 2012

Go Buy Records!!!

I like to think every day is Record Store Day around here, but of course tomorrow there are a bunch of special events going on around the country. So, ya'll be good boys and girls and go support your local independent vinyl [and Cd] merchants. Right?

Here's several unrelated clips celebrating a few of the shops I patronize in New Orleans and Austin [some more than others, but I've def bought records in all].

Fyi, the fourth clip would only load if I included it as part of a play list, so you may need to manually stop the player unless you want to watch the rest of the clips.

It's not that great of clip but I wanted to be sure and include something on Breakaway Records, a great shop that only opened a few months before I moved back home. Fans of the now-defunct blog, Second Line Social, may remember Gabe the owner. Even though I don't get to the shop very often [like twice since I moved], I still end up with a fair bit of Breakaway's stock through trades with a friend.








7 comments:

  1. Thanks, I finally got to see the inside of JR Records !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a shame that they were closed during your last visit. Maybe next time?

      Delete
  2. I'd like a return engagement !

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a former record store owner, "Rocks Off", and employee "Waterloo" and "End Of An Ear", I was excited to go to my new local shop "Record Exchange" and blow my allowance on the Ric/Ron and Stax/Volt 45 box sets....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You owned Rocks Off in NOLA?

      I bought the Ric/Ron set as well. Unfortunately, the Stax/Volt set was already gone. However I did get the Lee Perry Dub thing on three 10 inchers. Nice, but they really should have pressed it as 12in 45s.

      Delete
  4. My friends Chad and Stephanie opened it in 2002 as an everything store, they had vintage clothes, t-shirts, some records and CDs etc....I was trying to open a store in 2003-4 and in 2004 they decided to close/sell for personal reasons. They had a lease/phone/internet so we made a friendly deal and I took over April 2004. Got rid of everything but the music and tees and added 20x the music. Unfortunately had to close in September 2005 for obvious reasons... :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm truly sorry things didn't work out better for you. Would that the city could've gone back to the way it was......

      I spent 90% of 2001-2005 in NYC, but was def in the shop a few times. I mostly remember looking at clothes so it sounds like it was before you took over.

      Delete