Thursday, June 10, 2010

That's the way it goes....


This is one of the few released cuts from Earl King's aborted "Street Parade" sessions with Allen Toussaint and the Meters. It's also one of my favorite songs, one I can't help but dance to every time I hear it.

"Street Parade" really should have been The Great New Orleans Album, but the project was cancelled after Atlantic backed out of the deal.

Apparently no one else wanted the album. Only four of the songs [including this one] were picked up by the Wand label in New York. The two singles issued as a result did not sell. King ended up issuing one other cut from the sessions, "Street Parade Pt's 1 & 2", on his own Kansu label, which I can't imagine was distributed much outside of Orleans Parish.

And that was that....until 12 years later when some of the previously unheard session tapes surfaced on the Charly label as "Street Parade". In my opinion, it's a must-have collection, but then I'm a bit nutty about Earl King. Proud of it, too.

Hope ya like.......the record's from 1970.

1 comment:

  1. Some of these same '72 sessions with the Meters - I think - are also released on "New Orleans Blues" on Tomato, it's hot stuff for sure.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R02I1W

    ReplyDelete