Saturday, June 5, 2010

Special thanks, to my mom...


Hopefully this works the way it's supposed to. By the time this post appears My Boy and I should be through "ministering the sacrament of marriage" and about to kick off the party. First dance will be to Willie West's, "Keep You Mine".

There's been a good bit of talk about heritage and tradition around here lately. Ya see, everyone involved in this union represents a mix of cultures largely identified as "other" by most of American society. We are multi generational Catholics. We are "sang mele", of mixed blood. We are French [via Haiti], Sicilian, and Cajun. In short, we are Southern Creoles, and very proud of it.

My mom's from up by Opelousas in St. Landry Parish, her maiden name is French, her father raised chicken for a living and fought gamecocks for fun. When he died, he left me his collection of razor-sharp gaffes. My country cousins make their own boudain. In fact, Opelousas may be the only place in the country with a drive-thru deep-fried 'boudain ball' stand.

My friend who's doing the DJing for the wedding reception asked if he could use some of my zydeco 45's. This record is one he wants to borrow. I'm sure my cousins will appreciate his effort [as do I]. When you're from Opelousas, it just isn't music unless there's an accordion playing.

Anyway, I'd like to dedicate this one to my mom. She's been nothing short of amazing over the past couple of months. Without her help, my wedding would have been "de' pouille".

On yeah, before anyone asks if I'm changing my name, the answer is yes....I think I'll be going by Betty Lou from now on.

8 comments:

  1. Man, what i would give for an invite to THAT throw-down! Congrats, Ana, and I wish many happy years to you and your lucky man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ana
    I wish you all the best and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the "big day" went well. Best wishes to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats - more zydeco please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ya'll...

    I'll see what I can do plasticsun...

    ana..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, thanks for all the great music...most of this stuff don't get heard up here in New York. Yeah you rite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Johnny...You're most welcome.Glad you're enjoying the tunes.

    ReplyDelete