Tuesday, March 6, 2012

She's got the kind of lovin' that's hard to beat......


As I've mentioned before, my extremely meager knowledge spreads increasingly thin the farther I travel from home. Thus I can honestly say I don't know anything at all about this record or Willie Smith.

That is, except that the 45 is usually a cheap buy and totally kicks ass [even though the mix isn't the best]......and well, that I'm pretty sure Cliff Driver [who's band provides the instrumentation] is still alive and well. He shows up on several fairly recent Daptone/Desco releases.

Hope ya'll enjoy.......


Here's a clip of Cliff Driver playing keyboards with the fabulous Naomi Shelton & The Gospel Queens in 2006.


5 comments:

  1. http://www.discogs.com/artist/Willie+Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, but I very much doubt it's "Big Eyes" singing on this record. However, it does make me wonder if this is the only 45 issued by 'this' Willie Smith. I know it's the only one on the Genuine label.

      Delete
  2. I could only find one listing for any Willie Smith . Two labels were listed, Genuine and Columbia. Perhaps one was a 78 rpm.
    PS) Great song!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm fairly certain this is his only 45, there are actually two label variations for this, one of them doesn't mention Cliff Driver at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The UK single release does not mention him.
      Mike

      Delete