Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I still love him....


From a short biography of Irma Thomas which appears on site after site after site:

"....Thomas accused Ronn of withholding royalties and after one more effort for the label, "A Good Man," she briefly landed with the Bandy label, releasing 1961's "Look Up" before relocating to Minit."

Looks innocuous enough, but that one line is wrong on so many levels that it would be boorish of me to go into the details.

Suffice it to say, there was no landing "with the Bandy label" "before relocating to Minit". The Bandy 45 was issued sometime after Joe Banashak ['Bandy' to his friends] sold Minit to Lew Chudd of Imperial Records in 1963. Irma's contract was part of the deal. Afterwards, Banashak had several unreleased tracks....so he pressed them up.

This is Irma's third single, her first record for Minit as well as her first with Mr. Toussaint. It was recorded in 1960. All other Minit/Bandy [and Bumba ?] releases were recorded in 1961.

As much as I love the two earlier singles on Ron [not Ronn], it's the work with Mr. Toussaint that kills me. In fact, I'm not sure I would've ever developed a taste for the deeper stuff if Irma hadn't hooked me early-on.

I realize almost everyone who visits this blog has their own copy of this song, but I thought you might like to hear an original 45 in superb condition. Hope ya'll enjoy...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ana, Bless you for this one! It's one of my favourites - but try to find it in mono!!!! So thanks for this generous share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie...In mono? Sorry, but thats not usually a problem for me. Just so you know, everything I rip is mono all the way. I use a mono wired cartridge, a mono wired amp.....the program I use to convert the files allows for mono up to 320.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete