Monday, July 4, 2011

Or go back home and be shamed shamed shamed...



Either I'm very unlucky or this 45 is a tough find. This is the only original copy I've ever run into.

Just so happens both sides were recently re-released on a comp called "Face The Music". Can't say I like the cover [absolutely as cheesy as they come] but it's an interesting release, partially because some of the songs are re-cut. Now, normally I'd say that's a bad thing, but in this case it undoubtedly means Willie West is getting a few bucks out of the deal....and that's a good thing.

Anyway, there are def better copies of these songs around....my 45 is rough.

Hope ya'll enjoy....in my opinion, these are two of the more interesting arrangements Allen Toussaint ever created.



3 comments:

  1. Both tunes are great. I love 'em. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both are great. Been playing Baby Baby on repeat tonight. Those horns are to die for, and the piano and - well the whole song is too.

    Also spent some time trying to find a copy on t'internet, finally tracked one down on a Deesu red label at... $399.95 !! I think you're right, it's rare. Maybe so rare that Sir Shambling hadn't even heard it when he wrote his piece on Willie because this 45 is not singled out by him, and surely it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darcy....last winter I got first picking rights on a rather large oddball collection. Lots of obscure records most have never heard [me included]. I could have easily spent a couple of grand but held the line at about $250 for 10 or 12 of them. I'm still kicking myself for not going back for a couple of others.

    I'd never heard this 45 until that evening.

    I'm surprised Sir Shambling didn't feature the record as well. The man has a very large collection and seems to be quite the completist. I owe him an mp3 of an obscure 45. When I get it all together, I'll ask him about this record.

    Interesting that there's a red label issue....obviously that means there were at least two pressings.

    ReplyDelete