Thursday, May 17, 2012

Drummer ain't had none in a long time....


This goes out to Doug Schulkind at WFMU who for some unknown reason happens to think what I do here, on the blog, is special. I've rarely been so flattered in my life.

While I agree that the dedication is a bit obvious, it's such a good excuse to play the silly thing that I can't resist the temptation.

Actually, while I'm at it, it's been far too long since I thanked everyone who visits, comments, sends emails. Ya'll are such a lovely crew. Thank you. My only regret is that I often don't have time to respond in the manner I'd like. In particular, finding time to answer emails has become a big problem.

Obviously I'm having trouble finding time to post as well. Between taking care of the Monster Child and running a business I'm lucky to get the laundry done much less do something I actually enjoy, alone.

Anyway, I'm still here, plugging along. Hope ya'll stick around too.
...................................................................................................
Adolphus Holcomb, aka Little Hooks, and his brother Ray Holcomb [on this record, Ray Nato] worked together for virtually their entire professional lives, starting in the early 50s and lasting into the late 70s. And they recorded quite a few records under various group names along the way.

The odd thing about this record is that the Holcomb brothers were basically through recording by the mid 60's, yet in 1972 they reappeared with this atypical, incredibly charming little record. I have no idea how well it sold, but it must have done something sales-wise because it was picked up for national release on the United Artists label. As far as I know, it was their last 45.

Charming? I'm not sure I've ever said that about a 45 before.....but yeah, it's charming. There's a nice lo-fi homemade quality to it. Less hard funk than a sweet little groover that almost always makes me smile.

Hope it makes ya'll smile too...........


6 comments:

  1. good pun (song title vs showtitle) I love a good pun
    Torch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug Schulkind is right. Your blog is very special. And thanks for introducing me to the Holclcomb brothers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Pingw....and thank you for the compliment.

      Delete
  3. Tis always lovely to see what you post. Thanks as always. I am in NC and thx to your heads-up will be sure to catch Ironing Board Sam before long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This song is just awesome....

    ReplyDelete